Would you want to make use of a distinct keyboard key to map helpful instructions to your keyboard or your mouse? Because of PowerToys, you possibly can simply map and remap any keys you need, even mapping keys to mixture shortcuts. Here is what you need to do.
Map Helpful Instructions with PowerToys
Earlier than PowerToys, if you happen to wished to map instructions to your keyboard or mouse, you had to make use of a third-party software. Along with counting on keyboard shortcuts in Home windows, now you can use one of many instruments in PowerToys referred to as Keyboard Supervisor. Keyboard Supervisor helps you map helpful instructions by permitting you to redefine the keys in your keyboard.
Obtain and Set up PowerToys
If you happen to do not have already got PowerToys put in, there are a number of methods so that you can get it. Listed below are 3 ways to obtain and set up PowerToys in your PC.
1. Set up by way of GitHub launch web page.
2. Set up by way of Microsoft Retailer.
3. Set up by way of Home windows Package deal Supervisor. Copy and paste the next command into PowerShell:
winget set up Microsoft.PowerToys --source winget
After you have downloaded and put in PowerToys in your PC, launch PowerToys Settings to allow the “Keyboard Supervisor” function. You should use this information to learn to map helpful instructions on Home windows 11, however Home windows 10 customers can use it too.
allow keyboard supervisor
Once you launch PowerToys for the primary time, this could take you to the PowerToys settings, in any other case often known as the “Common” part, within the sidebar.
1. Click on the three-line menu within the high left and choose “Keyboard Supervisor” from the sidebar.
2. By default, be sure that allow keyboard supervisor The toggle is enabled, if not, flip it on.
3a. Click on remap a key To reconfigure the important thing to a different key or shortcut.
3B. Click on remap a shortcut To remap shortcuts to different shortcuts or keys for all or particular functions.
remap a key
Here is what it’s essential do to remap a key.
1 in keyboard supervisorClick on remap a key,
2. When the “Remap Keys” window pops up, click on on the large plus button so as to add a brand new key map.
3. Choose the important thing that you’ll do the remapping bodily key column both. by clicking on kind button and by typing the important thing in your keyboard or by choosing the important thing from the dropdown menu.
4. Change Keys or Shortcuts in Mapped into: column to your most popular substitution by clicking kind buttons and keys in your keyboard or through the use of the dropdown menu.
For instance, I need to change print display screen To Ctrl + P, Subsequently, after I use kind possibility, I kind “Ctrl + PClick on extra Okay when you’ve gotten completed the work.
5. If you end up able to allow the brand new key mapping that you simply simply remapped, click on Okay,
You should use the dropdown menu to pick out a particular key, or on this instance, Ctrl (Proper) + P, However you possibly can change the shortcut to something you want.
whenever you click on Okay, you might even see a warning message just like this. Click on proceed anyway,
This warning message means that you’ve got “orphaned” a key. It means you mapped it to a different key and nothing is at present mapped to it.
So long as PowerToys is working, Keyboard Supervisor will permit me to make use of Ctrl + P to invoke print display screen (PrtScn) operate.
remap a shortcut
The method of remapping a shortcut is nearly the identical as whenever you remap a key. You’ll be able to remap a shortcut to make use of instead of one other shortcut, or to switch the present shortcut. On this instance, I remapped the bodily shortcut Ctrl + P To PRTSCN,
In contrast to whenever you remap a key, whenever you remap a shortcut, you are able to do this for particular apps or depart it on the default possibility, “All Apps,” in your PC.
It’s good to have PowerToys working within the background for this to work. If you happen to shut or exit PowerToys, Keyboard Supervisor will now not be capable to apply key maps or shortcuts that you simply created earlier.
Add or take away key maps or shortcuts
If at any level it’s essential take away the important thing mapping or need to add one other one, the directions are quite simple.
To delete a key map or shortcut, click on the trash can icon to the correct of the important thing map. So as to add a brand new key map or shortcut, click on the large plus signal on the backside. keep in mind to click on Okay on the high to shut the window whenever you’re completed.
Bear in mind: So long as PowerToys is working within the background, Keyboard Supervisor will make it possible for your new key or shortcut remap is utilized.
There are some shortcut keys that can’t be changed into helpful instructions as a result of they’re reserved by the Home windows working system. Listed below are the keys and shortcuts: can’t be remapped,
- Home windows Key + L And Ctrl + Alt + Del Can’t be remapped as a result of they’re reserved by the Home windows OS.
- fn (operate) key can’t be remapped (typically). The F1 – F12 (and F13 – F24) keys might be mapped.
- utilizing the stop The important thing will solely ship an occasion containing a single key. For instance, mapping stop To backspace key, and holding it down will solely delete a single character.
- Home windows Key + G Typically the Xbox Recreation Bar opens, even when reassigned. Luckily, the Xbox Recreation Bar might be disabled.
As a reminder, Keyboard Supervisor have to be enabled with PowerToys working within the background always to be able to use the remapped keys and shortcuts. If PowerToys is just not working, key remapping won’t work.
Do you employ powertoys to map helpful instructions or every other app? Do you employ a distinct app so as to add keyboard shortcut keys to your mouse? Inform us within the feedback.
Share this put up: