Home windows 10 is probably not getting up to date as often as Home windows 11, but it surely nonetheless has its share of bugs and breaks with every new month-to-month replace. KB5016616, which was launched on August 9, as a part of the August 2022 Patch Tuesday cycle, is seemingly breaking down the audio performance of units.
A few points have been found simply minutes after the discharge of KB5016616, together with a bug the place the set up of the replace will fail. The ‘Home windows 10 August 2022 replace’, in any other case often known as ‘Home windows 10 Patch Tuesday August 2022 replace’ is simply a minor replace, although many customers are actually operating into bother.
The issues encountered could have additionally affected these on older variations of the OS, together with model 2004 and model 20H2. That’s as a result of model 21H2 and older variations of Home windows 10 share system information and the core working system.
KB5016616 replace breaks audio performance and causes audio stuttering, in response to studies seen by us.
It seems like Microsoft is conscious of the studies they usually’re engaged on a workaround. In an replace to the help doc, Microsoft has confirmed KB5015878 (July 2022 preview) and KB5016616 (August 2022 Patch Tuesday) break audio drivers and a few units lose entry to the audio.
In a press release, Microsoft officers confirmed that “affected machines might need no audio”, however the scenario could fluctuate from one machine to a different. For instance, in some circumstances, Microsoft noticed that units would possibly solely have points on “sure ports, sure audio units or solely inside sure apps”.
The bug is hitting units the place a characteristic referred to as “audio enhancements” is disabled earlier than the set up of the replace.
How you can repair audio points brought on by Home windows 10 KB5016616
For those who paused the updates and KB5016616 isn’t put in, you’ll be able to stop this downside from occurring within the first place by following these steps:
- Replace your audio machine driver, sound driver or sound card drivers from the non-compulsory settings in Home windows Replace. Or it’s also possible to go to the producer’s (OEM) webpage and obtain previous or new drivers, and set up them once more. This would possibly stop the problem whenever you set up the cumulative replace.
- You also needs to backup the settings of apps like Open Broadcaster Software program (OBS). In some circumstances, you would possibly have to run your individual checks by putting in the updates and verifying in case your superior audio app is working as anticipated.
In case you’ve already put in the replace and also you’re unable to uninstall Home windows Replace, you’ll be able to observe these steps:
- Launch Home windows Audio/Sound Troubleshooter and let it run for a short time. This would possibly have the ability to resolve points in some circumstances.
If the audio entry stays damaged, you’ll have to disable “Audio Enhancements” from settings:
- Open Begin > Settings > System > Sound and choose your audio machine from the dropdown menu. This may be discovered underneath Enter > System Properties >Extra machine properties).
- You’ll discover the toggle to disable audio enhancements on the Enhancements tab, or the Superior tab.
- Choose the choice “Disable all enhancements” or the “Disable all sound results”, after which click on on OK.
Additionally it is value noting that Microsoft has pushed an emergency replace to resolve points with the audio machine. A future cumulative replace is predicted to ship with fixes as properly.