Microsoft has shifted its consideration to Home windows 11 within the final 12 months, though the corporate hasn’t forgotten about Home windows 10 totally. The upcoming 22H2 replace will apparently embody a “scoped set of recent options”, however you don’t have to attend till it arrives for an replace that’s price putting in.
Model KB5016616 has been launched as Home windows 10’s month-to-month safety replace for August, nevertheless it has a shock up its sleeve. Not solely is there a genuinely new characteristic, it’s one thing you’ll most likely wish to use frequently. Microsoft’s “Focus Help” software can already block notifications whereas you want to get work performed, however it will probably now be set to permit particular “vital” alerts to nonetheless attain you.
That is undoubtedly a refined change, nevertheless it might have a big impact on productiveness. You could be reluctant to make use of Focus Help for concern of lacking out on one thing vital, particularly if you happen to normally permit notifications from many various apps. This could result in a distracted and typically chaotic workflow, however permitting solely particular alerts to make it via means you will be positive the rest can wait. There’s no have to manually set a precedence listing, as was the case beforehand.
Jim Martin / Foundry
The KB5016616 replace technically consists of one other new characteristic, however the return of help for “Home windows Autopilot” is just related to enterprise prospects.
As a safety replace, it’s no shock to see bug fixes and enhancements. However there are greater than common within the August patch, a few of which can have an effect on you. These embody issues connecting to the web when you’ve got a docking station related and Home windows Troubleshooter not working throughout a number of inventory apps. The next are additionally included in model KB5016616:
- Decreasing the overhead of useful resource competition in excessive enter/output operations per second (IOPS), which ought to repair some efficiency points
- Bettering the OS improve expertise, together with “push-button reset” characteristic
- Mounted a difficulty that restricts occasion logging channels and removes EN-US language pack
- The “remove-Merchandise cmdlet” and it’ll now work together with Microsoft OneDrive folders
- System will now further audio endpoint info.
- Mounted a difficulty which may trigger consecutive video clip playback to fail in video games that use DX12
- Mounted a difficulty that crashes Home windows when the characteristic “Home windows Defender Software Management” is turned on and Clever Safety Graph can be enabled
- Mounted a difficulty with the Home windows profile service failing sporadically
For those who’re affected by any of those issues, putting in the KB5016616 replace is extremely really useful. As common, merely head to Settings > Replace & Safety > Home windows Replace and click on ‘Verify for updates’. Alternatively, it may be downloaded manually by way of Microsoft’s Replace Catalog.
There might be extra new options within the 22H2 replace – a few of that are hidden within the present model. However will they be of any relevance to shoppers? Likelihood is, the reply might be no. Nonetheless, with Home windows 10 nonetheless supported till October 2025 and no purpose for many individuals to get Home windows 11 but, retaining your system updated ought to be a high precedence.
Associated articles it’s possible you’ll like